The Executive Committee of SFSD includes the following officers:
President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and Parliamentarian. Duties of these officers is described below. Additionally, the Chair of the Gurdwara, and Education Committees also serve on the Executive Committee.
- Vice President
The President of the Sikh Foundation San Diego performs general supervision, direction and control of the Foundation, the Executive Committee, and the Directors. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all the Standing Committees except the Nominating Committee, and shall have the general powers and duties of Management usually vested in the office of President of an incorporated organization and shall have other powers and duties as may be prescribed by the Executive or the Bylaws.Some specific duties of The President are:
- Prepare the agenda for and Chair the monthly Executive meetings as well as Chair the quarterly Directors meetings.
- Contribute an Editorial quarterly to the Sikh Foundation Newsletter.
- Appoint the Chairpersons for all Foundation Committees with approval from the Executive.
- Appoint a Directors Election Committee.
- Delegate such duties or assignments as desired to the officers and the Executive.
- Represent the Foundation at all non-Foundation events.
- Approve and sign all official correspondence and communications of the Foundation purporting to represent the views of the Foundation; and at the appropriate times, as provided in the SFSD Bylaws.
- Communicate the job requirements and give direction to the employee(s) of the Foundation and have semi-annual performance reviews for those employees.
There are two vice presidents appointed. In the absence or disability of the President, the First Vice President shall perform all duties of the President and in the absence of the President and the First Vice President, the Second Vice President shall perform all duties of the President.
- The 1st Vice President(s) shall have such powers and perform such other duties as from time to time may be prescribed for each of them by the Directors or the Bylaws. The First Vice President shall also Chair the Audit Committee and the Communications Committee of the Foundation.
- 2nd Vice President shall be the Chairperson of the Foundation’s Development Committee and shall, with the advice and consent of the Development Committee, raise all funds necessary for the Foundation’s financial goals.
The Treasurer shall oversee the administration of finances for the Foundation and Chair the Finance Committee.
- Books of Account. The Treasurer shall keep and maintain, or cause to be kept and maintained, adequate and correct books and records or accounts of the properties and transactions of the Foundation, including accounts of its assets, liabilities, receipts, disbursements, gains, losses, capital, retained earnings, and other matters customarily included in financial statements. The books of accounts shall be open to inspection by any director at all reasonable times.
- Financial Reports. The Treasurer shall prepare, or cause to be prepared, and certify, or cause to be certified, the financial statements to be included in any required reports. Present interim and annual financial statements to the Executive for consideration and approval. These reports should be filed with the minutes of the said meetings. Present interim and annual financial statements at the Board of Directors quarterly meetings and at the General Membership Annual meeting.
- Deposits and Disbursements of Money and Valuables. The Treasurer shall deposit, or cause to be deposited, all money or other valuables in the name and to the credit of the Foundation with such depositories as may be designated by the Executive; shall disburse, or cause to be disbursed, the funds of the Foundation as may be ordered by the Executive; shall render, or cause to be rendered to the President and EC members, whenever they request it, an account of all of his/her transactions as Treasurer and of the financial conditions of the Foundation; and shall have other powers and perform such other duties incident to the office of the Treasurer as may be prescribed by the Executive or the Bylaws.
- Bond. The Treasurer shall give the Foundation a bond in the amount and with the surety or sureties specified by the Executive for faithful performance of the duties of his/her office and for restoration to the Foundation of all its books, papers, vouchers, money, and other property of every kind in his/her possession or under his/her control on his or her death, resignation, retirement, or removal from office.
- Budget. Compile Foundation annual Budget at the Finance Committee level and present it for approval to the Executive and then the Board of Directors..
The Secretary records and keeps track of attendance at the Foundation Executive Monthly Meetings, and at the Director quarterly meetings. The Secretary records and seeks approval of the meeting minutes.
- Bylaws. The Secretary shall certify and keep at the principal office of the Foundation the original, or a copy of these Bylaws as amended or otherwise altered to date.
- Book of Minutes. The Secretary shall keep or cause to be kept, at the principal executive’s office or such other place as the Executive may direct, a book of minutes of all meetings, proceedings, and actions of Executive Committee members and Committees of Directors, recording the time and place of holding such meetings, whether regular or special and if special how authorized; the notice given; the names of those present at such meetings; the number of Directors present or represented at Executive Committee & Director meetings; and the proceedings of such meetings. The Book of Minutes shall also contain any protests concerning lack of adequate notice or dissents from any Director member if the protesting or dissenting members request in writing. It should be noted that the Secretary must ensure that the approved financial statements are kept and maintained with the appropriate minutes of all meetings.
- Notice and other Duties. The Secretary shall give, or cause to be given, notice of all meetings of the Executive & Board of Directors in accordance with the Bylaws. He/she shall have such other powers and perform such other duties incident to the office of the Secretary as may be prescribed by the Executive or these Bylaws.
- Corporate Records. Upon request, the Secretary shall exhibit at all reasonable times to any Directors of the Foundation, or to his/her agent or attorney, the Bylaws and book of minutes.
Parliamentarian is the chair of the By-laws committee and assist the Executive to govern Robert’s Rules of order.